Oct 5, 2009

The best of Judd Apatow: Knocked Up

1. Knocked Up
2. The 40-year-old Virgin
3. Funny People
4. Superbad
5. I Love You Man,
6. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Okay now this is annoying: "Like so much of Apatow's work it risks compromising a true adult sensibility with monotonous raunchy dialogue and penis jokes that bespeak the imprisonment of aiming at a teenage audience." So writes David Thomson is his review of Funny People. If there are adults immune to penis jokes, I have never met them: I cannot think of a single one of my friends who would not laugh at the penis-drawing scene in Superbad. Maybe I'm hanging out with the wrong people, in fact I'm almost certain that I am, but I think this tells you a lot about critics and comedy and why films like Funny People get called masterpieces and why films like Knocked Up, in which Judd Apatow is firing on all cylinders, all the time, get slighted. Just you wait. They said the same thing to Woody Allen until he gave in and started making boring movies about people going blind and then they were practically on their knees begging him to go back to the penis jokes.

2 comments:

  1. Nice commentary, just had one little thing to add and that is Apatow did not actually work on "I Love You Man." But I guess you could let it slide because it is so "Apatowesque."

    Anyway, just also wanted to say that I enjoyed Blockbuster a lot, I hope you make the sequel soon.

    ReplyDelete