Feb 20, 2010

White House showed "Poor judgment" in legalising the extermination of muslim villages


So now we know: John Yoo and Jay Bybee used "poor judgment" in giving George Bush the legal authority to exterminate muslim villages and crush the testicles of their children. ("If the President deems that he’s got to torture somebody, including by crushing the testicles of the person’s child, there is no law that can stop him?" "No treaty" "Also no law by Congress. That is what you wrote in the August 2002 memo" "I think it depends on why the President thinks he needs to do that.") It makes you wonder: if exterminating civilians and crushing the testicles of their children is something that receives light censure in this country, what is criminal, exactly? And there I was worried about my parking tickets. Presumably if I choose to rob a bank and rape the teller, I will not be invited to Sunday lunch any more. If I walk into a church and sodomise the pastor I might get a slapped wrist and a frown. If I decide to actually kill someone in full view of their family I might be given a good talking to. But only when I get up to the level of exterminating whole communities and torturing kids will I be accused of "poor judgment." This truly is the land of the free.

No comments:

Post a Comment